Sunday, August 23, 2009

Germany - Castles, Mountains and Waterfalls.......for Real this Time

Ok, my last post was wordy, so I will make this one a visual post. Quick description, we, sorry, Bernd Honicke, drove 2.5 hours to the village of Schwangau which is a popular holiday destination because of the mountains, parasailing opportunities, waterfalls, and most of all castles. We started the day be riding what Bernd called sleds, which turned out to be roller carts that rode down a galvanized bobsled route, very fun. Then we took the cable car up to a plateau on the mountain where we had a little lunch, watched the paragliders and sailers take off, then began out hike. We weaved our way down the mountain, getting some great views, interesting trails, and some tough hiking. This lead to Mary's Bridge, which crosses over a 45 m waterfall, and leads to the Neuschwanstein Castle. In the background of some of the pictures, you can see the Hohenschwangau Castle as well

Well, here are the pics:

Sledding




Pretty fun, about a 5 minute, very fast ride.
Riding the Cable Car



View form the top......ridiculous





And the jumpers

Ahhh, the Mountains



Did I mention the views






I think I see some casltes down there
And Mountiains



Started to get closer to the Neuschwanstein Castle







We then made it onto Mary's Bridge over a waterfall, and right near the castle









yup, more of the views






Then to the castle









Then a hike to the base of the waterfall and follow the flow to the car











Then a walk back across the base of the mointain we just hiked down...showing start to finish at the castle





And a few more of the Castle




So there you have it, a review of my Sunday. Paned out a little better than Saturday. And I have to say, that Mr. Honicke is a fabulous host. He made all the arrangements, brought lunch consising of sandwich's, radishes, and some little plum/apricot mix that I have never had that was good. He also was patient with all the stopping I did on the hike to take pictures, anyone who has been on vacation with me knows this frustration, and he got me to go on those sleds, which I would never have done, and it turned out to be a really good ride....twice....So, big thanks to him.
Hope you enjoyed, have a good Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment